About This Site
Parenting Your Teen – Solving the Mystery. Keeping Your Sanity.
You're a good parent: paying attention, trying to teach your teen skills, trying to hold him/her accountable.
But do you also find yourself:
- Mired in arguments over how much freedom your teen should have?
- Trying to figure out how to manage technology in a way that doesn't make you crazy?
- Worried about the long term impact of some of the choices your teen is making?
- Tired of attitude, broken promises or hashing out the same problems week after week?
If so, you'll find solutions here.
This self-study course helps parents of teens transition from pilot to co-pilot – without being pushed from the cockpit or going down in flames.
You'll get dozens of our most effective, teen-tested parenting tools – learned through years of parent education and coaching – so you don't have to start from scratch!
- The most critical skills to SHAPE a strong relationship with your teen
- Over 3 hours of content in short, topical video lessons featuring real parents with real challenges
- Respectful, firm language to handle conflict and share concerns
- What to say - and what not to say - so your teen feels safe sharing thoughts and feelings
- Tools to better handle your own behavior under stress, so you can do it differently next time
- How to share your feelings honestly and respectfully - and invite the same from your teen
- A simple framework for problem solving and finding solutions together
- Tips to build connection instead of distance in your relationship with your teen
- Communication skills you can practice with your teen in 5 minutes or less
- Extensive role play, so you can see why a suggested approach is more effective
- Lots of encouragement as you parent your teen!
Recent research on the brain, resilience, and leadership styles points to the importance of creating environments where people feel connected, valued, and have some control over how they approach the task in front of them. People (and teens) want to know that they can take some risks and learn from mistakes without fear of being labeled "failures". In general, teams and families succeed when everyone feels they can speak up and when members show they're sensitive to how each person feels. People are motivated when they feel some degree of autonomy and control, and de-motivated when they think there's no chance they can affect an outcome.
Your job gets easier as your teen builds skills. Help your teen:
- Feel valued for their contribution
- Be confident and hopeful because of your support and their own growing sense of competence
- Develop her own values, beliefs, and goals
- Learn important life skills and social skills like accountability, self-awareness, planning, perspective-taking, communication skills, decision making skills, problem solving skills
- Use mistakes and failure as learning opportunities, building resilience in the process
You get the gold nuggets, the communication skills, and the language that makes parenting easier and more effective modeled for you live in videotaped sessions with real parents!
We break it down into bite sized skills you can practice and apply TODAY for a better relationship with your teen.
Get wisdom when and where you need it - at your fingertips.
When you watch these clips, you'll see what a difference these principals and tools can make: less stress, better relationship, more influence.
Your teen will develop the life skills they need to be successful, because you'll be offering opportunities for practice day by day.
Hang in there! Your teen still needs you - no matter how they try to deny it!
These lessons have been created by Lynn Lott and Kimberly Gonsalves and are based on Positive Discipline for Teenagers: Empowering Your Teen Through Kind and Firm Parenting, Revised 3rd Edition, 2012 by Jane Nelsen, Ed. D. and Lynn Lott, M.A., M.M.F.T. and Solving The Mystery of Parenting Teens by Lynn Lott, Alicia Wang and Kimberly Gonsalves.